San Sebastian, or Donostia in Basque language, is the capital of Gipuzkoa province in the Basque Autonomous Community and located
on a floodplain where the Urumaya river empties into the Bay of Biscay. The city is a very popular seaside resort.
San Sebastian was
founded around 1180 and was named after Saint Sebastian, known protector against the Plague.
In the 18th century a lucrative trade
with the Americas brought San Sebastian plenty of wealth, but that period came to an end in the Peninsular war. Napoleon's troops
took the city in 1808, but the British successfully laid siege and in 1813 its looting soldiers burned the town down.
San Sebastian was rebuilt in an elegant neoclassical style.
The Spanish Civil War and the ensuing Franco regime drew a heavy
toll on the Donostians and the city's economy. Recovery only occurred after the death of Franco.
Points of interest are City Hall,La Concha Beach, Constitution Square, the Comb of the Winds and the centenarian Funicular on Mount Igueldo.
We visited San
Sebastian on a rainy day in May 2019.
the scenic19th century promenade along La Councha Beach
the Puente del Kursaal with the new Centro Kursaal on the other bank of the Urumaya river
in 2016 the pedestrian tunnel was decorated by ItsasArte
the Victoria Eugenia theater was inaugurated in 1912
the Sacred heart figure dominates La Mota castle atop mount Nutgall since 1955
the Funicular dates from 1912 but is still going strong
the station for the Funicular Igueldo that lifts you to the Igueldo Amusement Park at the top of the hill
Luis Pena Ganchegui created the Peine del Viento ( Comb of the Winds) in 1977
the clock atop the old town hall is a relic of the time San Sebastian traded with the Americas
the town hall was build around 1830. It is currently in use as library
a view of the harbor
Plaza Constitucion dates from 1817, once used for bullfights
a view from the promenade La Concha towards Mount Igueldo
even on a rainy day the view from Mount Igueldo is not that bad
the English style Palacio Miramar was built in 1893 for the Spanish Royal Family