the Nieuwenhofpoortje is a small gate in the Nieuwenhofwal
the restored Faliezuster monastery dates from around 1650
nowadays you can enter safely but once the Helpoort sported a spiky metal portcullis
the Helpoort got its name when it was used as a prison
the Helpoort is the Netherlands' oldest city gate
just north of Jekerkwartier stands the Basilica of Our Lady from the 11th century
this is the Leeuwenmolen from the 16th century
the footbridge over the Jeker leads to the Nieuwenhofpoort
don't worry, the gun on the eastern roundel of the Nieuwenhofwal is not loaded
the Pater Vinck tower with some remains of the second city wall
The Jekerkwartier is a neighborhood in Maastricht, just north of where the Jeker flows into the Meuse. It must be a very good spot,
as people have lived in this area since ancient times.
Unfortunately, buildings from the Celtic, Roman and Merovingian period did
not survive so the oldest constructions are from medieval times.
Remaining parts of the first city wall and fortifications in
Jekerkwartier are Onze Lieve Vrouwewal, Jekertoren, Helpoort and Lang Grachtje and date from 1230 AD.
In 1375 a second city wall
was erected, of which the Nieuwenhofwal and the Pater Vinck tower survived the ages.
Between the two walls soon monasteries like the Faliezustersklooster popped
Watermills were used here since the early middle ages. The Bisschopsmolen is said to be once owned by Godfrey of Bouillon, a leader
of the First Crusade.
Today the Jekerkwartier houses several sections of Maastricht University and scores of students
live in the area.
We visited the Jekerkwartier on a sunny day in September 2021.
the reconstructed Onze Lieve Vrouwewal originates from 1230 and faces the Meuse River
the Jeker toren forms the southern end of Onze Lieve Vrouwewal
the Pater Vinck tower, as seen from inside the city wall
remains of the first city wall from 1230 along Lang Grachtje Street
the 11th century Bisschopsmolen was once owned by Godfrey of Bouillon
ducks and a massive beaver populate the Stadspark, south of the second city wall