Belvedere is a complex of two Baroque palaces and gardens loaded with statues, fountains and cascades.
The Belvedere was build for Prince Eugene of Savoy, a successful general of the Holy Roman Empire who destroyed the Ottoman army in the battle of Zenta. His military successes brought him also tremendous wealth which he spent on grand Baroque building projects.
Construction on the Lower Belvedere and the gardens started in 1712 and by 1723 the Upper Belvedere with the spectacular Marble Hall was completed.
Prinz Eugen, as the Austrians called him, used the Belvedere as his summer residence and stuffed the place with his large collection of expensive paintings.
The gently sloping gardens are of a special beauty with spouting fountains, elaborate cascades and marble statues.
We strolled the Belvedere gardens in May 2014.