here out of bounds means bye bye golf ball
at the golf course a hungry squirrel begs for food
a replica of one of the Goldrush houses sits at the Yukon waterfront
Maggie and Lea battle it out on top of their Lil Shoppe
a huge mural reminds of the challenges that faced the stampeders during the Klondike Gold Rush
migrating salmon use this fish-ladder next to the dam on their way to the spawning grounds
here you can safely watch the flow from above
in 1958 the Whitehorse Hydroelectric dam finally tamed the rapids that gave Whitehorse its name
the Hydroelectric dam created a reservoir called Schwatka Lake, also in use as airfield
here comes the Waterfront Trolley. Due to financial troubles the service was stopped in 2018
Since 1953 Whitehorse is the capital and only real city of the Yukon, Canada's most westerly and also least populated territory. The
city's mere 25.000 citizens account for about 70% of all Yukoners.
The city is located where the Yukon River has carved out a
narrow passage through the Miles Canyon Basalts. The resulting rapids gave the city its name as the white foam on the roaring rapids resembled the
manes of charging white horses.
Indigenous people had fished, hunted and camped here for ages, but it all changed in 1898 when the
rapids proved to be a bottleneck to the hordes of eager Klondike stampeders.
Tents, saloons and roadhouses
shot up along the eastbank to cater to the miners.
In 1900 a railway with Skagway was completed and the town of Whitehorse
grew around the rail terminal.
In 1958 the Whitehorse Hydro-electric dam finally tamed the rapids and created Schwatka Lake.
here in June 2007 and visited the rapids and the dam. We also found time for a round of golf at the Mountain View Golf Club
we met an inquisitive and hungry squirrel.
Saturday morning is not the busiest time in Whitehorse
but luckily you can safely buy fresh fudge with that moose on guard
the SS Klondike was decommissioned in 1950 and now serves as a museum
so Mr Redpants sacrifices his hamburger bun
Whitehorse has one of the world's larges windvanes; a genuine Dakota
the suspension bridge was built in 1922 when a white foamed Yukon roared through this narrow Miles Canyon