Puente Romano and surroundings
In the first century the Romans built a stone bridge over the Guadalquivir river as part of their 1500 km long Via Augusta
the 8th century the Moors repaired and extended the ailing bridge and added the Torre de Calahorra
and the Puerte del Puente
defend the southern and northern bridgeheads.
Over time the bridge and its towers have seen many restorations, lastly in
2006 when it became a pedestrian-only crossing and the Torre de Calahorre was turned into a museum.
Downstream is a small nature
providing a safe space for birds, but also otters seem to like the place.
In the river sit a couple of partly restored
watermills. Best known is the Molino de la Albolafia
which has Roman origins and was supposedly shut down by Isabel I
of the creaking noise.
Archangel San Rafael
himself is custodian of Cordoba and he is honored in several statues like
the Triunfo San Rafael
just behind the Puerte del Puente.
We crossed that bridge in April 2009.
looking at the bridge through the Puerte Puente. The locals call this gate the Arco del Triunfo
the Calahorre Tower protects the south entrance of the bridge
the Triunfo San Rafael is from 1736
part of the city wall is restored around the Puerte Puente, once the main city gate
on top of the tower the views are spectacular
the tower is turned into a museum dedicated to the Moorish heydays of Cordoba
the west side of the Puente Romano. Only the foundations remain from the original Roman bridge
this is the south wall of the Alcazar that faces the river
the Molina de la Albolafia harks back to Roman times but the ruin is from the 9th century
once the main gate to the walled city, the present form of the Puerte Puente dates from the 16th century
on the bridge is a statue for San Rafael who stopped the plague epidemic
time to go back down again
the defensive works of the Torre del Calahorre