part of the Enkhuizen fishing fleet is moored in the Oude Haven
Enkhuizen's coat of arms depicts a lady holding a shield with herrings
the facade of het Oude Weeshuis was completely restored in 1906
the floor is littered with grave stones
inside the Westerkerk
here the sell ships in a bottle
in summer it is busy along the Oude Haven
the statue for Paulus Potter, famous Dutch painter from the 17th century
the oldest version of the Enkhuizer Almanak dates from 1686 and contains tidetables and weather forecasts
the connection with the IJselmeer
After 1000 AD Enkhuizen emerged as a merger between two age-old hamlets.
In the next centuries rising sea-levels and a series of devastatingfloods created the Zuiderzee, causing mayhem and death.
But it also put Enkhuizen in the ideal spot to expand international trade
and supporting industries like shipbuilding and rope and sail making.
At first the trade focused on the Baltics and it was in this
era that Enkhuizen gained its city rights in 1355.
The Age of Discovery opened up the world and Enkhuizen was quick to grab the
opportunity. As a member of the VOC the city joined the lucrative spice-trade and became extremely wealthy. But after 1650
most of the traders and merchants moved to booming Amsterdam and slowly Enkhuizen fell into decline.
In 1885 the railway reached the
town and when a year later the ferry service to Stavoren started, Enkhuizen became a major stopover on the Amsterdam-Groningen
route. Combined with a growing seed production and trade, the city ecovered and soon florished again.
Today water-tourism drives Enhuizen's
We visited in August 2018.
the characteristic tower of the Westerkerk
the main entrance to the Westerkerk, now a cultural center
the Oude Haven (old harbour) is dominated by the Drommedaris tower and the elegant lift bridge
the Drommedaris with city gate was part Enkhuizen's defensive line and dates from 1540
construction of the Zuider Kerk started in 1423 and finished in 1524
the Harbour Office