website028003.gif website028002.gif website028005.gif
Wiencke Island is part of the Palmer Archipelago, a series of islands to the west of the large Antarctic Peninsula.
To the east is the Antarctic mainland, separated by the Gerlache Strait, to the west is Anvers Island, separated by the sometimes small and winding Neumayer Channel.
 
The islands and waters were named by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition under Adriene de Gerlache who explored the area at the end of the 19th century.
They had to spend the winter of 1898 in the area because the ship got stuck in the ice.

Wiencke Island is named after an unlucky crew member from Norway who went overboard and drowned.
  
These waters are frequently visited by cruise ships because of the majestic scenery of snow and glacier covered peaks and cliffs.
 
 
We circumnavigated Wiencke Island on February 26 2008.
Neumayer Channel
Anvers
Island
Wiencke
Island
Graham Land
 
website028003.gif website028002.gif website028001.jpg
Gerlache Strait